Thursday, August 16, 2018

The Orange-crowned Warblers That Aren't Very Orange-crowned

I am a slow learner. I've gotten to the point where I can recognize most of the common bird species along the trails I walk most often, but the rarer birds and seasonal migrants throw me for a loop every darn time. In the spring it was the flycatchers (although I saw three new species back then). But now it is August and some of the earliest fall migrants are starting to pass through. And it is the warblers giving me fits. So far, no warbler is giving me more trouble than the Orange-crowned Warbler (Oreothlypis celata).
The more experienced birders have been very patient with me. I keep taking fuzzy pictures of warblers I can't identify (like the one above), and once again they tell me it's an Orange-crowned Warbler, and in my mind I say "but where's the orange crown??" The males do in fact have some orange-colored feathers on their head, but they are rarely seen.
That identification immediately led me to realize that I had photographed this species a few other times, but was frustrated by my failure to accurately identify the birds. I went searching and found even better pictures in the archives. I just need to remember that if I see a yellow-olive colored bird with a thin bill and half-arcs around the eyes, and NO ORANGE, it logically must be an Orange-crowned Warbler!

No comments:

Post a Comment