Tuesday, August 7, 2018

Rufous Hummingbirds on the Tuolumne River

Rufous Hummingbirds (Selasphorus rufus) were the subject of a post only a few weeks ago, but that was because I was in an exotic location (i.e. the Pacific Northwest) where the birds spend the summer season. I've only seen them a couple of times on my home turf as they migrated through the region last spring. So I was surprised to see three or four of them this morning on my morning walk on the Tuolumne River Parkway trail. They were immature males.

I guess they may be starting to move south for the winter (there have only been three sightings in Stanislaus County in the last 30 days). I couldn't help but notice they were in the same wild tobacco bush where I saw them last spring. The Cornell Lab mentions that the birds have an excellent memory for location.

No comments:

Post a Comment