Monday, October 22, 2018

Phinally a Phine Photo of a Phemale Phainopepla on the Tuolumne River!

Yes, I've used that joke before, in 2015, but memories are short, right? And I blogged about Phainopeplas just a month ago when I saw them again for the first time in almost a year on the Tuolumne River Parkway Trail. But darn if they don't keep beckoning me to try and get that perfect photograph. I've seen them a couple of times now in the elderberry bower along the west part of the Parkway Trail, but today's female (the males are nearly pure black) wasn't too concerned that I was snapping pictures. They are members of the silky flycatcher family and that's exactly what this one was doing, sallying forth from her perch to snag a bug out of the air before returning to the branch.

I hope they'll be sticking around for the winter. They are one of my local favorites.

No comments:

Post a Comment