Monday, November 13, 2017

A Rarely Seen Sora at the Merced National Wildlife Refuge

Here's a bird that is common across North America. It summers in Canada and the northern United States, winters in Mexico and Central America, and migrates through the rest. It lives year-round in only one place: California's Great Valley. It is a Sora (Porzana Carolina).
It is also an extremely secretive bird, spending most of its time hiding in the reeds. I've seen it exactly once prior to this last weekend, at the Stone Lakes National Wildlife Refuge near Sacramento. On Saturday we were touring the Merced National Wildlife Refuge, and had stopped to try and catch some Stilts. I noticed a gray blob in the reeds, and for once actually thought "Sora", and tried to focus in. These aren't great shots, but they are better than my previous effort.
Any duck hunter would know that a Sora isn't a duck, but I'm not a duck hunter, and I haven't mastered my duck species yet. The first time I saw one, I was confused that I couldn't find it in the duck section of Sibley's. But I learn, however slowly, and maybe next time the pictures will be even better.

No comments:

Post a Comment