Wednesday, November 1, 2017

Audubon's (Yellow-rumped) Warbler on the West Campus


I'm finally seeing some warblers this week on campus while I'm working. I don't know if it was me, but the birds seemed to be hiding away. But the last two excursions around campus have produced some sightings. The Audubon's Warbler (Setophaga coronata) is the type of warbler I see most often. It used to be called the Yellow-rumped Warbler, which was good for random Google search hits, but is otherwise mildly insulting.
Most of those that I've seen have been perched high above in the "mini-wilderness". There's another that likes to land just outside of my lab on the third floor wall. It stays until I grab a camera, then takes off. Tonight I was trying to get some closer shots without success. Just as I gave up, one landed in the tree next to me, no more than 15-20 feet away. It stuck around for a couple of shots.

No comments:

Post a Comment