Monday, September 4, 2017

Willow Flycatcher at Silver Lake, Washington

I've probably photographed a number of flycatchers, but there are many species, and I don't feel overly qualified to identify a lot of them (the Black Phoebe and the Ash-throated Flycatcher being the only exceptions for me). I was walking the nature trail at Silver Lake a few weeks ago when I saw this small flycatcher in the bushes. It stayed in place just long enough for a few pictures, and as best as I can tell, it is a Willow Flycatcher (Empidonax traillii).

Silver Lake is a natural lake produced by mudflows from Mt. St. Helens. The nature trail follows an old railroad line that crossed a portion of the lake. It's overgrown with shrubs and trees, providing a nice habitat for birds. I've posted a few other pictures of birds from the location.

No comments:

Post a Comment