Thursday, June 8, 2017

An Active Bewick's Wren on the Tuolumne River Parkway



I was walking the Tuolumne River the other day as I often do. Some days the birds are out and sometimes not. This outing I saw three bird species in one tree, some Starling nestlings, an Oak Titmouse, and a wren working out its wings.

With the lighter breast, I'm guessing it is a Bewick's Wren (Thryomanes bewickii), but I never got a good look above the eyes to see the white eyebrow to be absolutely sure (experts, I appreciate correction).
It got a good look at me apparently! It flitted around the branches for a bit, and then settled into a flapping display that I guess was either a food begging habit, or a territorial display. I got a short video, which you can see above. Again, those who know such things are welcome to comment!

No comments:

Post a Comment