Wednesday, October 2, 2019

Black-crowned Night Herons in the Daytime!

Busy days! I've found precious little time to post pictures in the last few weeks with the start of school and a major field studies trip, but things are slowing down just a little bit, and I've had a few quiet moments. I just took a stroll around the CSU Stanislaus campus before a class this evening.
I saw a few first arrivals of the fall migrants, mainly White-crowned Sparrows and Yellow-rumped Warblers, but the attention-getter of the evening was the pair of Black-crowned Night Herons (Nycticorax nycticorax) hanging out on the bridge over Warrior Lake.
I see them often enough, but it is somewhat rare for them to be so available for photographs. I'm glad they were feeling visible today! They are beautiful birds.


No comments:

Post a Comment