Friday, March 3, 2017

Northern Mockingbird at the Merced National Wildlife Refuge


There are birds that we see every day, and so often, that they tend to fade into the general background. If they didn't sing, that would be true of the Northern Mockingbird (Mimus polyglottos), but they do sing, and so it is hard to ignore them. Especially when it's three in the morning and they are outside your window. Still, they are so common in the urban environment that I rarely try to photograph them. But they are interesting and intelligent birds. I was at the Merced National Wildlife Refuge a couple of months ago and among all the rare and colorful migrant species I spotted this Mockingbird perched out in the open. I like the way the shot turned out, so here it is. It's only the second time I've posted about them!

No comments:

Post a Comment