Monday, October 28, 2019

An Oxymoron and a Rare Bird: A White Black Phoebe at the Merced National Wildlife Refuge

This was an extraordinary day. It's not all that often that you get to see a bird rare enough that you probably won't see it again in your life. But that's what happened. We were having another look at the Merced National Wildlife Refuge to check and see what new winter migrants have arrived. As we were getting ready to start the auto-tour loop, I saw a white bird in the bushes near the entrance sign.

Unless they are Snow Geese or Pelicans, white birds are kind of unusual in our area. It's not hard to figure out why...they can't hide from predators very well, seeing as how we never have snow. What made this bird even more unusual was that it was just the right size to be a flycatcher, and it was behaving just like a flycatcher, perching and then flying out for bugs and then returning to the perch. But flycatchers aren't white, especially the flycatcher known as the Black Phoebe (Sayornis nigricans). The picture below shows the normal appearance of a Black Phoebe.
I could barely understand what I was seeing, given that I am still a bit new at the bird-watching business. But when I got the angle in the picture below, I was strongly suspecting that I had found a leucistic Black Phoebe, even though I had never heard of such a thing in the past. I tried googling right then in the field the term for a white color in birds but mistook leucocratic instead of leucistic, and kept getting references to granitic rocks instead of anything having to do with birds (I figured it out later at home).
Leucism is different than albinosim. Albino animals lack melanin, a natural pigment that provides dark color. They are generally pure white, and their eyes will be pink (click here for an example of an albino California Scrub Jay). Leucistic birds have melanin, but they are inefficient at using it in their feathers, so they may show some color, as seen in the Black Phoebe I saw today.

I could find only a few references to leucistic Black Phoebes so I suspect that unless I see this particular individual on our future trips to the Merced NWR, I'll probably never see one again. They seem to be pretty rare. But "White Black Phoebe" makes for a great example of an oxymoron.

8 comments:

  1. Your Leucistic Black Phoebe is alive and well still at Merced NWR. I ran across it today and took many photos of it. I found it flitting around about 1/4 of the way around the auto trail, in the area where the first 90 degree left turn is. This is the first leucistic bird I have witnessed in person. I did search on the web to verify what I had seen and ran across your blog. I have found nothing else so far about leucistic phoebes. Seems to be a rare bird indeed!



    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your comments! I am glad to hear the bird is alive and well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here's another article about the leucistic Black Phoebe, written by fellow blogger Siera Nystrom: http://natural-history-journal.blogspot.com/2019/11/unique-beauty-leucistic-black-phoebe.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for posting this. Ran across this bird on Dec 26, 2019. Got some not so great pictures of it, it was flitting around in some thick brush about a quarter of the way around the loop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just saw this little guy at MWR on January 4, 2020! So glad to have run across your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  6. You just solved my mom and I's twenty minute "what was that bird???" conversation. Just saw him this morning!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I saw this bird today at the MWR and I was so interested to read your post since I had no idea what I was looking at. I saw her in the same spot as the commenter on December 7. What an interesting sighting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been going bananas trying to figure out what sort of entrancing, fantastical little bird i spotted in the tules at Merced NWR last weekend... Lo, and behold! Lovely. Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete