Saturday, October 7, 2017

A Not Exactly Black Brewer's Blackbird in Bishop, California


I guess the birds are where you find them. Brewer's Blackbirds (Euphagus cyanocephalus) are exceedingly common in my home territory, roosting by the thousands on telephone wires and trees around the city. But it's not all that often that I see one up close.

I was in Bishop, California last weekend on a short break from our geology field studies, enjoying breakfast at the Schatt's Bakery in the middle of town. With outdoor seating, it wasn't much of a surprise to see birds looking for a handout. A Blackbird seemed to own the post behind our table and I got a couple of shots of the iridescent feathers in the morning sunlight. It's obvious that "black" is only kind of an average for the color of this bird...

And the intensity of those eyes...

3 comments:

  1. how would you care for a injured bird of this type?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd take it to a wildlife care center.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. we don't have a wildlife care center near us but I have it where we kept our baby chickens/ducks giving it water and food. it has stopped bleeding so that good.

      Delete