Monday, January 27, 2020

I Wonder Why They Call Them That? The Ruby-crowned Kinglets of the Tuolumne River

Every so often I have to post some pictures of a Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula), mostly out of a sense of accomplishment for having captured them at all. They are one of the most active birds I ever encounter on my strolls along the Tuolumne River Parkway Trail.
They range widely across the North America from the southern reaches of Mexico to the extreme north of the Arctic in Canada and Alaska. They winter in our region, and I see several every time I walk. But one thing I don't usually see is...a ruby crown.
It's pretty much the only difference between the males, who have it, and the females who don't. And the males almost always keep it hidden. They have to be excited about something, mainly during the breeding season in spring and summer. So here in winter, I don't see much ruby...
A few days ago, one was really upset with me for one reason or another and was flying circles around me and displaying some color. I took a lot of pictures, and finally got a couple of usable shots.
I don't know if these birds have emotions as such (the Corvids certainly seem to), but this one was rather expressive, an effect highlighted by the white patches around their eyes. Now that I have the ruby crown in pictures, I'll have to work all the harder to catch the crown lifted up.
Now, if I could only figure out why they call its close relative the Golden-crowned Kinglet...

No comments:

Post a Comment