Saturday, January 18, 2020

I Wonder Why They Call Them That? Common Goldeneyes on the Tuolumne River

Yes, it's a mystery for the ages...why do they call them goldeneyes?
In actuality, I rarely get the chance to investigate the answer to the question because Common Goldeneyes (Bucephala clangula) are among the most skittish birds I encounter on the Tuolumne River. Over the last three winters there has been a flock of 15-20 of them spending time on the river near the Tuolumne Parkway Trail in Waterford, but they do not like humans very much at all, and probably with good reason: they're a favorite of hunters. I see them fairly often over the winter, but mostly as a sudden flash of wings, or a ripple of water where they have dived out of sight.
I got lucky the other day because I was approaching the pond where these two were hanging out from below an embankment. All they could see of me was a hat, and they didn't spook while I got a couple of images. I think I have solved the mystery of the name!
I caught the rest of the crew on the river where they were foraging. These pictures were on a long zoom because I was much further away. The females have the brown heads and lack the white facial spot. But they both have...golden eyes!

No comments:

Post a Comment