Friday, December 8, 2017

Osprey Enjoying a Meal on the Tuolumne Parkway Trail


I'm seeing more birds along the Tuolumne Parkway Trail these days. I'm not sure of the reason, but I'm happy enough to try and photograph them. This Osprey (Pandion haliaetus) has been a fairly uncommon sight on this part of the river where it exits the Sierra Nevada and rolls into the Great Valley. They aren't rare as such. I've been monitoring a number of nests just upstream, so I know they are always around. I just don't see them on this section of trail.
This one had been successful at catching a fish of indeterminate species and was enjoying lunch in one of the dead cottonwood trees on the north side of the river. It kept an eye on me as I walked by, but didn't care enough to fly away (it was perched farther away than it looks; I was zooming in).

No comments:

Post a Comment