Tuesday, October 28, 2014

Bird of the Day: Red-shouldered Hawk in the Early Morning

Red-shouldered Hawk (Buteo lineatus)
Today's bird isn't about the photography, though I like the picture. It was about the moment. I go into town early several days a week to avoid a bottleneck traffic jam at 8:00 AM over the freeway (I definitely don't live in L.A.!). This means I am often one of the first few people to arrive on campus, and it is always pleasingly peaceful and quiet.

This morning I was walking towards my building when I heard an unusual bird calling out, echoing off the buildings around me. I wondered if it was a hawk, but it sounded a bit more melodious than most hawks I've heard (which aren't that many, really). I looked up and finally saw it in the Deodar tree on the east side of the parking lot. It was a Red-shouldered Hawk (Buteo lineatus), quite likely the one I've photographed once or twice before.  It looked like it was greeting the sunrise, much as I was.

It was a nice moment in the quiet morning before things got crowded and hectic.
Source: Wikipedia (Tony Phillips)

1 comment:

  1. There's something that feeds one's soul hearing a bird in the very early morning... Thanks for sharing, Garry.

    ReplyDelete