Thursday, February 14, 2019

Graceful Flight: American White Pelicans on the Tuolumne River


I've had some rare privileges of late during my walks on the Tuolumne River Parkway Trail. A week ago a Bald Eagle paid a visit and hung out for the better part of the week. The eagle moved on, but the next day I was keeping an eye in the sky anyway and saw a pair of huge birds overhead.
I briefly thought "eagles", but quickly realized the smooth gliding and graceful turns meant American White Pelican (Pelecanus erythrorhynchos). It was kind of nice because this is only the third time I've seen them from this part of the river.
I'm not sure what drew them out here. They tend to prefer shallow waters where they can collectively herd fish. We've got a series of ponds generated by gold mining and quarrying, and I suppose they have healthy fish populations. Whatever their reason for visiting, it's always a thrill to see them flying overhead with such grace.

No comments:

Post a Comment