Wednesday, September 24, 2014

Bird of the Day: Anna's Hummingbird at Stanislaus


I saw some new bird species over the weekend, but I haven't processed the pictures yet (yesterday's Sage Thrasher was the exception). It was back to normal with the teaching schedule, so I was on the campus of CSU Stanislaus and took a short walk towards their Outdoor Education area, and noticed a little Anna's Hummingbird (Calypte anna) hanging out in the tree above me.

The late afternoon lighting was a challenge, but I got a couple of clear shots from several angles. I don't know how the hummingbirds are doing in the drought; the way I understand it, their metabolism rate is so high that they are constantly just a few hours away from starvation. It's no wonder they love our feeders so much!


No comments:

Post a Comment