Thursday, January 31, 2019

Close Encounters with a "Rare" Bird: Yellow-billed Magpie on My Campus


I sometimes have to remind myself that I'm privileged here in California to see a rare bird on a regular basis. There are hundreds of thousands of birders across North America and the world who never get to see a Yellow-billed Magpie (Pica nuttalli). I sometimes see dozens of them on a given day, since there is a good-sized flock on my campus of Modesto Junior College. The reason of course is that they are found in only one small part of the world, the Great Valley and Coast Ranges of California. They are one of the very few truly endemic birds in California. There are probably not much more than 100,000 of them in existence due to a devastating population crash brought about by the West Nile Virus a decade ago.

I can't say that I ignore them. They have a raucous manner and one usually knows they are near by, due to their constant chattering and arguing. But they are pretty skittish around humans so they keep their distance. For that reason I was kind of surprised the other day when I walked past a Magpie on the baseball field fence. It just watched me until I was just a few feet away, so I pulled out the camera and snapped a few shots.

Familiarity can breed complacence (I could never hold these beautiful birds in contempt), so it was a nice reminder of what a treasure we have in these birds and what a pleasure it is to be able to observe them.

No comments:

Post a Comment