Monday, April 23, 2018

Green Heron above the Tuolumne River

Here's a bird that's been a challenge for me to photograph. The Green Heron (Butorides virescens) certainly lives along the Tuolumne River where I regularly walk, and I even got a good video of one a couple of years ago. But it is skittish around humans (as any smart bird will be), and it flushes in the first moment that I see it and I rarely have gotten good shots. Over the weekend though, I was watching another bird when I saw two herons flying by. One turned away when it saw me, but the other fluttered to a landing on the dead snag a few yards away. I couldn't believe I got the opportunity to get these pictures.
I imagine that this one felt well-hidden. Can you see it in the picture below? It was the first picture I took, thinking it would take off right away, but it didn't. I love the zoom lens on my camera...

No comments:

Post a Comment