Tuesday, February 9, 2016

Cedar Waxwings on the Modesto Junior College West Campus

I was just too busy to take my usual Tuesday quick drive out to the San Joaquin Refuge this afternoon, so I settled for a walk around the campus. I haven't done it in a while, and I realized that spring was well underway. I saw something like 15 bird species in the space of 20 minutes or so. One of my favorite discoveries today was a pair of Cedar Waxwings (Bombycilla cedrorum). They pass through our region on their migrations, so it is a treat when they stop for a bit.

The name "waxwing" derives from the orange spot on the wings. It's a waxy secretion that may have something to do with attracting mates, but who actually knows? (not Cornell anyway).

1 comment:

  1. The Cedar Wax Wings have made their yearly trip to Modesto Ca.to feed on my Privet Trees Berries. I know Spring is on its way when the Wax Wings make their appearance. They are beautiful Birds. Watching them flying back and forth from my Privets to my huge dormant Pecan Tree is a beautiful sight to see...

    ReplyDelete