Tuesday, May 5, 2020

One of the Hidden Ones: A Hermit Thrush on the Tuolumne River

I'm often reminded on my walks through the river woodlands just how many birds and other animals  I don't see. I know good and well that there are myriads of creatures watching me, but I almost never see them back. The reminder in this instance came when I saw a Hermit Thrush (Catharus guttatus) for only the second time on the trail (the first time was way back in 2015). And as is usual for me, I only barely realized what it was.

There is a particularly lush green section of the trail with overhanging oak and fig trees, and lots of underbrush. If I see any birds at all among all the shrubs, they tend to be California Towhees, which are kind of a drab brown with a reddish rump. So I wasn't too excited when I saw the drab brown bird, but something seemed a little different about it so I snapped some pictures and waited for to turn around. When it did I realized it was actually a Hermit Thrush (the spots gave it away). It's a pretty bird with a nice song. I would love to see them more often!

2 comments:

  1. Those are excellent photos! The Hermit Thrush has one of my very favorite songs! (Swainson's Thrush also!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so fortunate to have Hermit Thrush singing in my neighborhood on a daily basis right now!
    Your description of the CA Towhee made me think of another blog that recently celebrated National CA Towhee Week: https://imbirdingrightnow.com/2020/04/01/national-cal-towhee-week-why-we-love-em/

    ReplyDelete