Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Holy Cow, What the Heck is That?? Oh, and Have You Ever Wondered Why They Call it Double-Crested?

Yikes, did I ever see something strange today. I've always noticed Double-crested Cormorants  (Phalacrocorax auritus) during our travels at the local bird refuges, but I have never gotten a really close look. They've always been off in the distance, or skittered away if we got too close. I had no idea what I was missing.

I was wandering around on the CSU Stanislaus this afternoon, and was distracted by the dozens of Canada Geese, American Coots, and Mallard Ducks, especially since there were some cute little chicks showing up with them. I was walking by about ten feet from yet another black-colored bird, and almost didn't notice it was...not...like...the...others. The long hooked bill and orange face immediately marked it as a Cormorant, but I had never seen such eyes before.
Then I noticed the odd feathers on the head and finally realized why it is called "double-crested" (I vaguely wondered, but never looked it up). During the breeding season, the males develop the head feathers, apparently because the lady Cormorants are impressed by such things. I'm glad to know that humans aren't subject to such strange whims.
So, yeah, I'm pretty impressed by a bird that I've noticed, but never seen up close. It's described in some guides as "primitive" looking, and I definitely get dinosaur vibes when I look at this individual.


No comments:

Post a Comment