Friday, January 19, 2018

A Lady Hawk on the Tuolumne River Trail! That's a Merlin to You

I had a new surprise today. On Wednesday it was about a flock of Common Goldeneyes and fresh beaver sign, and today it was a sighting of a totally new bird for me. It was a beautiful sunny day after what seemed like weeks or months of gloomy gray weather (I know, it was just a couple of days). But still, the sunshine was nice so I headed down to the river for some exercise and to see who was out and about. I almost immediately saw an American Kestrel who stopped long enough for a couple of pictures (maybe in a near-future post). Being perched on trees right over the trail, it must have thought I was chasing it.

It finally disappeared but then I saw another kestrel-shaped bird, but I realized almost immediately that the coloration was wrong. I started snapping pictures and wondered what it might be. It was too small for a hawk, and so my inexperienced bird brain said "Merlin". Out came the smart phone, and the pictures seemed to confirm it (as always, I'm open to gentle corrections). A search on eBird indicates only one previous sighting on the Tuolumne River Parkway Trail in Waterford (they range all over the west, and have been recorded both upstream and downstream of my favored trail).
The Merlin (Falco columbarius) is a member of the falcon family that ranges across the northern hemisphere, in Europe and North America. They winter in our region and head north during the summer for breeding. They are fast and agile fliers who prey mainly on small songbirds (as can be seen in my pictures). They went into a steep decline during the DDT years, but have recovered very well, although they are listed as uncommon in our county.

The term "Lady Hawk" refers to the use of Merlins by noblewoman in Medieval times to hunt small birds. They are still used by falconers today.

No comments:

Post a Comment