Saturday, April 18, 2015

White-headed Woodpecker: A Western American Endemic

The White-headed Woodpecker (Picoides albolarvatus) is endemic to western North America, found in conifer forests from the Canadian border almost to the Mexican border. I read that it is not particularly common, which probably explains why I've only seen it three times (then again, I'm not that observant either). And each time the pictures turned out somewhat fuzzy. But they get a little bit better each time. My latest catch was in Yosemite Valley in Cooks Meadow by Sentinel Bridge.
It was late in the evening and I wasn't really on the lookout for birds because of the poor lighting conditions, but once I saw this female, it was unmistakeable.  I had to at least try for the photographs, and while not perfect, they are the best I've taken so far.
A beautiful bird!

Source: Audubon Society

1 comment:

  1. Watching one right now on my tree in Big Bear Lake. 1st time I have seen one & it’s winter.

    ReplyDelete