Sunday, December 15, 2019

A Well-Hidden White-Breasted Nuthatch on the Tuolumne River

One of the most elusive of the birds I search for on the Tuolumne River. It's not that they are rare. They're found throughout our county on a regular basis. And many savvy birders hear them before they find them, because they can be noisemakers. But I never seem to spy them on my daily walks, even though I know they are there, up in the big oaks along the river. It was June before I saw my first one of the year, and until today I hadn't seen one since September.
I've been running across all kinds of interesting birds over the last week or two, with three species reported for the first time ever (three kinds of ducks passing through the area), and a very rare winter visitor, a pair of Hooded Orioles. Today was a nice surprise, as I heard an unfamiliar ruckus in the oak tree. After a few minutes, I spotted the White-breasted Nuthatch (Sitta carolinesis) working its way down the trunk of the oak tree.

Now if I could just find that elusive Red-breasted Nuthatch!

No comments:

Post a Comment