Wednesday, March 13, 2019

A Wily Belted Kingfisher on the Tuolumne River


The effort continues...these are hard birds to catch in a photograph! I see Belted Kingfishers (Megaceryle alcyon) on a fairly regular basis during my walks on the Tuolumne River, but they are extremely skittish around human beings. They will stay in place if they happen to be across the river from me, but they don't stay at all still if I happen upon them on the north shore of the river. They'll fly away immediately, unleashing a torrent of bird profanities that make my ears burn and sailors blush (really, you should hear them chattering in anger).

In any case, I had a lucky moment last week and saw the Kingfisher before it saw me, and I was able to get one of the better shots that I've achieved. It's still a bit fuzzy, so I'm going to keep at it. This one is a female, as evidenced by the presence of the chestnut banding.

No comments:

Post a Comment