Wednesday, January 16, 2019

Close Encounters of the Ring-billed Gull Kind


I absolutely love a good zoom lens. At times it allows me to identify an obscure bird from a quarter mile away, but there are other times when it allows a certain intimacy with a different species. Ring-billed Gulls (Larus delawarensis) are very common in human environments, choosing garbage dumps and parks as their habitat. As a result, they don't fear humans and will make a close approach. That's when the zoom lens brings out some bit of the personality of the bird.
I was on our holiday journey in the Seattle area, at Gene Coulon Park on the shore of Lake Washington when I came across this individual on the pier. It didn't move as I walked by, so I took it as an invitation to snap a few close shots. It was disappointed though...I didn't have any food with me.

3 comments:

  1. Gulls really are prettier than we usually give them credit for! Is the bird in the last photo the same as the first two? The small bill, more white on the wing tips and rounded head make it look to me more like a Mew Gull... maybe?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That could certainly be. I struggle with gull identification since I don't see them as often out here (although there are some Bonaparte's Gulls hanging out at the water treatment plant in Waterford).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gulls are certainly challenging! I'm still sorting them out myself :) And now I have to go look for those Bonaparte's Gulls!!

    ReplyDelete