Thursday, November 12, 2015

Ruby-crowned Kinglet on the Tuolumne River

Work slowed a bit on the Tuolumne River Parkway Trail in Waterford a bit last week, and for a fairly good reason. It was pouring rain! We picked up more than two inches in the last two weeks, nearly 20% of a complete water year. In other words, the rainy season is off to a good start. I hope it continues.

I took a careful walk earlier in the week, finding that portions of the trail were underwater. I saw several interesting birds, including a Northern Flicker, and a juvenile Red-shouldered Hawk. I also saw, for a split second, a Ruby-crowned Kinglet (Regulus calendula). I managed a single photograph before it flew away. I've seen them in the area a few times, but they move fast through the underbrush, so I was probably lucky to get the picture I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment